Frequently Asked Questions
What is Raise the Region®?
Raise the Region® is a unique, online giving event that provides an opportunity for people who care about their community to come together and raise as much money as possible for local nonprofits in 30-hours - starting at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 and ending at midnight on Thursday, March 15, 2018. All gifts will be processed through the First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania.
Blaise Alexander Family Dealerships have committed $150,000 to be applied to each donation as stretching funds to help leverage credit card donations received via www.raisetheregion.org during this event. Monetary prizes will also be awarded to nonprofit organizations throughout the event.
Why is Raise the Region® a good opportunity for our community?
As an initiative of the First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania, the aim of Raise the Region® is to promote the work and support of local nonprofits in our region. This event will increase individual funding to nonprofits through a concentrated, online, stretching gift campaign that reaches each community supported by a participating nonprofit. Raise the Region® is a strategic and unified effort to meet the increasing needs of our region that are being addressed through the work of local nonprofits.
The stretching donation from Blaise Alexander Family Dealerships and the cash prizes will inspire charitable giving and it demonstrates the power of giving locally to create powerful communities throughout the region. By participating in this event, local nonprofits can increase their online presence, generate greater awareness for their organization while raising additional support in the first quarter of the year.
Who can participate?
- A 501(c)(3) public nonprofit organization in good standing with the IRS
- Have completed the Raise the Region® application by February 23, 2018
- Must have a physical address in one of the following counties: Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder or Union. If physical address is outside of the 6-county area identified above, contact Betty Gilmour, Director of Grantmaking, at 570-321-1500 to determine eligibility.
- Places of worship are not eligible to participate in Raise the Region®
- Higher Education Institutions are not eligible to participate in Raise the Region®
- Programs with fiscal agents, and government/public taxing entities are not eligible to participate in Raise the Region®
- Complete a profile for the Raise the Region® website.
- Agree to use all money raised during Raise the Region® - donations, stretch funds and prize money- to benefit Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder and/or Union counties through non-sectarian programs.
- To maintain elgibility consideration for Raise the Region 2019, nonprofits must obtain 10 unique donors during Raise the Region 2018.
This event is open to the public. Anyone who wishes to participate can make a secure donation by credit card at www.raisetheregion.org beginning at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 through midnight on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
Where is Raise the Region® taking place?
Raise the Region is an online event where most activity will take place via your computer, smart phone, iPad, etc. Within the 30-hour period, credit card donations can be made at your convenience via www.raisetheregion.org, news and updates will be posted regularly to social media via http://www.facebook.com/FCFPGives.
How does it work?
- Any individual or business may donate.
- Donor must be the credit card holder.
- All donations must be made online. MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express donations will be accepted through the Raise the Region® website. No gifts from checks, cash, First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania charitable gift certificates or donor advised funds will be accepted for this giving event.
- All donations are tax deductible and irrevocable (donations will not be refunded) and will be for the unrestricted use of your chosen charity. Please note that Raise the Region is a program of The First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania.
- Minimum gift: $25 Maximum gift: No maximum gift. The maximum amount per gift that will receive strech funds is $10,000.
How much of the donation will go to the nonprofit
- All donations will be paid to the chosen charity net of credit card transaction fees (est. 2.99%), processing fees paid to vendors (est. 2.99%) and a 2% gift to the Community Foundation to provide for the costs of the giving day event and support the mission of the organization.
- The Community Foundation brings together people, partners and places to grow local giving and investment, strengthen area organizations and results, and take on the critical issues and efforts needed to build vibrant communities and a thriving north central Pennsylvania region.
Do I receive a tax receipt from the nonprofit?
No, you will recieve a tax receipt via email for your online gift from the First Community Foundation Partnerhshp of PA. Your donation will be passed from the Community Foundation directly to the organization(s) you choose with the stretch dollars attached. Your credit card statement will show a transaction made to the First Community Foudation Partnership of PA or FCFP.
How will the incentive grants be awarded?
The incentive funds, stretching funds and prize money, will be included in the grant to each participating nonprofit. The stretching funds will be paid to each participating nonprofit according to that nonprofit's percentage of the total amount raised during Raised the Region® (example: nonprofit raised 10% of the overall amount raised, nonprofit receives 10% of the stretching funds). Please see the Leaderboard page for ways to help your favorite nonprofit win additional grants.
When will incentive grant prize recipients be announced?
The Raise the Region® website will feature a live leaderboard where nonprofits and donors can track donations by organization in real-time. The leaderboard will list nonprofits in the order of most gifts. You will also be able to view the amount raised per nonprofit, but this is not a factor in determining incentive prize winners.
Final grant prize distribution may differ from leaderboard results, as all gifts are subject to eligibility verification. The Community Foundation will strive to confirm and announce all incentive grant recipients within 3 business days, with grant checks distributed within 30 days of the event.
What happens if there is a tie for an incentive grant prize?
In the event of a tie for incentive (bonus) prizes, that prize will be equally divided by the number of organizations in the tie. Incentive bonus prizes based on time, will be dertmined by hundreths of a second to determine a winner.
Does The Community Foundation accept employer matching gifts for Raise the Region®?
Employer-matched contributions made in conjunction with Raise the Region® will be accepted, but will be used to support the Friends of the Foundation Fund at the First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania.
How will my email address and personal information be used?
Email addresses will be used to transmit electronic tax receipt(s) for donations made through Raise the Region®. Your name, email address and billing address will be shared with the organization(s) to whom your donations will be credited (unless you choose to give anonymously, in which case the Foundation will not share your information with the organization you choose to support). The Community Foundation does not retain credit card information and your personal data will not be shared with or sold to any other outside vendors or third parties.
The Community Foundation may send periodic email updates about website enhancements, research reports and special giving opportunities or events.